As the costs of higher education rise, paying for college can be challenging. Many students need some type of financial support to pay college expenses. As you begin the process, Independent Bank can help you understand the options.
We encourage you to work with your college financial aid office because they are the best source of information on available federal and state financial aid sources (including grants, loans and other forms of financial aid) for which students may qualify.
Federal aid programs
Financial Aid programs for students usually require completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You can complete this form online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. If you find that there is still a need for additional college financing after completing the FAFSA process, Independent Bank offers financing options.
The Independent Bank* Smart Option Student Loan by Sallie Mae®
For borrowers attending degree-granting institutions
Now you can pay for college the smart way with three great repayment options and competitive interest rates! The loan is an ideal solution to help you pay for college expenses not covered by scholarships and federal loans.
The Smart Option Student Loan features and benefits:
- We offer a choice of competitive fixed and variable interest rates providing even more choice and flexibility
- No origination fees and no prepayment penalty
- Borrow up to 100% of school certified education costs (minimum $1,000)
- Multiple in-school repayment options available
- Borrower benefits available – like rewards and interest rate reductions
- Rates that reward creditworthy borrowers
- Applying with a creditworthy cosigner may help you qualify and/or receive a lower rate
- Get a quick credit result by applying online. It’s quick, easy and only takes about 15 minutes to apply
- 24/7 online account management
To learn more or to apply, please get started here.
Additional financing options
Home equity loan or personal loan
- A home equity loan allows you to borrow money secured by the equity in your home to cover college tuition. Interest may even be tax deductible!
- A personal loan can also help with college expenses. Ask us how a personal loan can help with your education expenses.
- To see the benefits and for more information about these options, click here or call us at 800.285.3111.
Normal Credit standards and restrictions apply. Consult your tax advisor regarding deductibility of interest.
*Independent Bank does not take applications for Sallie Mae Smart Option Student Loans®, which are made by Sallie Mae Bank. Independent Bank is compensated for the referral of Sallie Mae Smart Option Student Loan® customers.