A 140-year history of growth across the state.
Founded as First National Bank of Ionia in 1864, Independent Bank now offers convenient locations across Michigan’s Lower Peninsula. Today, Independent Bank Corporation (Nasdaq Symbol: IBCP) is a Michigan-based bank holding company with total assets of approximately $2.0 billion. Independent Bank provides a full range of financial services, including commercial banking, mortgage lending, investments and title services.
- First National Bank of Ionia begins as one of the first charters issued under the National Currency Act on February 2, 1864.
- In 1896, the National charter is given up and a State charter is obtained; the bank reorganizes as State Savings Bank of Ionia.
- In the 1920s, State Savings Bank of Ionia combines two offices to one building in Ionia, which becomes Ionia Main.
- In 1952, State Savings Bank changes its name to First Security Bank.
- In 1973, Independent Bank Corporation was formed, but stays inactive until the acquisition of First Security Bank on June 1, 1974.
- In 1993, Independent Bank enters the market in the Thumb area with the addition of offices in Caro and Unionville.
- In 1996, offices are added in the Alpena, Hillman, Hale and Rogers City area in Northern Michigan.
- In 1997, the Plainfield office opens in Grand Rapids.
- In 1999, Independent Bank enters the market in the Bay City, Saginaw, Mount Pleasant, Battle Creek and West Branch areas. The East Beltline office opens in Grand Rapids.
- In 2004, the Troy office is added along with offices in Beverly Hills, Bloomfield Hills, Farmington Hills and Livonia in East Michigan.
- In 2006, Independent Bank was ranked number 18 in the top 25 banks in the nation by the American Bankers Association “Banking Journal.” The East Lansing office opens.
- In 2007, Independent Bank completes the unification of four affiliates into one bank.
- In 2008, new offices were opened in Houghton Lake and Muskegon.
- In 2012, Independent Bank received the “Highest Customer Satisfaction with Retail Banking in the North Central Region” from the J.D. Power and Associates 2012 Retail Banking Satisfaction Study*.
- In 2012, Independent Bank sold 21 offices in Battle Creek and Northeast Michigan to Chemical Bank.
- 2013: Independent Bank now operates over 70 offices throughout Michigan.
Independent Bank when it was known as State Savings Bank of Ionia.
*Service Mark of J.D. Power and Associates